The Sherry Mears Barn

This "Sweitzer" bank barn, typically built by German settlers, has a distinctive overhang of 7 feet on the the upper level floor for hay over the lower level for the farm animals.  It is also a bank barn because the west approach to the upper level is an earthen ramp, making it easy to bring in hay wagons.

The barn has the original vertical board siding, a gabled roof with two gabled cupolas with louvered vents. The lower level walls and foundation are constructed with rough, course rubble stone.  The Mears has generally believed it was built in the 1880's, but a nearby sister barn was built in 1863.  Sherry bought the farm in 1948.

 

To play, press and hold the enter key. To stop, release the enter key.

press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
County:
Township:
Address:
GPS Location:
Vistors Welcome?
Owners:
Phone:

Carroll

 

6405 W 300 N, Delphi

40.592982, -86.647341