The Jim & Nancy Cripe Barn

The property is owned by James L. and Nancy S. Cripe.  According to published plat maps, Roy Martin owned the property at least by 1907, originally along with William D. Martin.  In 1897 it was owned by George Martin.  In 1882 and 1874, it was owned by J.R. Rohrabaugh.  In 1863 it was owned by Alexander Murphy.

According to the tax records,  the original barn was built in 1925, with an addition to the barn in 1928.  According to a newspaper article in the Delphi Citizen the barn burned in December 1929 during a blinding snowstorm.  The snowstorm was quite spectacular and caused many problems.  It was said to be the worst since 1918.  The Citizen reported the barn was located in  Deer Creek Township but it is confirmed that the barn was located Madison Township.   The barn was referred to as the largest barn in the Township.  It was reported that the barn held an estimated one hundred tons of hay, 10 shoats, a large amount of corn and other grain and the majority of Mr. Martin's farm equipment.   The original cost of the barn was in the neighborhood of $13,000.00.   According to plat records, the current barn was rebuilt in 1930.

To play, press and hold the enter key. To stop, release the enter key.

press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
County:
Township:
Address:
GPS Location:
Vistors Welcome?
Owners:
Phone:

Carroll

Madison

1837 S.  650 W., Delphi, IN 46923

40.520444, -86.646623

Yes

Jim & Nancy Cripe

(765) 564-8491